Friday, December 9, 2011

Meeting With The Surgeon

My first meeting with Dr. Basa was on Monday! The weather was cold, and although it wasn't part of my evil plan, I wore jeans and a big belt. That added a good three pounds to my first weigh-in. The nice thing about that is that it will look like I've lost more weight than I have (if the next time I wear my usual uniform of exercise shorts and a t-shirt). I'm not trying to play games...really. Anywho, the appointment began with someone taking my vitals and then meeting with the bariatric coordinator. The BC asked me a lot of questions like what are my trigger foods and do I binge eat things like a whole bag of chips or a half gallon of ice cream. I said maybe a half of a bag of chips or a pint of ice cream. Chips truly are a trigger food. I enjoy them but they aren't my favorite food, but I can't stop once I start eating them. We talked about my diet history (Weight Watchers, Phentermine,lots of unsuccessful attempts), when my weight gain started (late teens, but really after the birth of my first baby). What kind of surgery do I want (RNY, aka laparscopic gastric bypass)? How long have I considered weight loss surgery (around 5 years, not entirely sure)? Why do I want to do it now (I want to see my grandchildren and not die a horrible death like my mother, and other reasons)? The doctor came in and pretty much asked the same questions. We also discussed my recent 4 year depression that I am so HAPPY to have gotten behind me. Dr. Basa said that I am a good candidate for bariatric surgery and she agreed with my choice of RNY, especially with my diabetes. I signed a contract agreeing to lose 10-20 pounds before surgery. I also agreed to start exercising, start taking a multi-vitamin, and quit drinking caffeine. Before having surgery I have to lose the weight, attend 3 classes (nutrition, exercise, and a surgeon's meeting) and attend at least one support group meeting. I also have to see a cardiologist, nutritionist, a psycho-therapist, and Dr. Basa will perform an endoscopy (I think) to check for any hernias and ulcers. I also will be having some lab work done to check for a bunch of things including vitamin levels. I am waiting to talk to the finance guy, but as I stated earlier, I will be self-paying. After the meeting they took my first "before" photo. It was very exciting to feel like I was getting closer to undergoing this surgery, which looks like it might be happening in February. Wow!
PS Thank you for all the support!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you Jackie! It's very cool to see you hopeful about this and your determination to make this work. What will you be doing to lose weight before the surgery? You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're not wanting to do the Biggest Loser camp because it's $10k, you have to work hard to lose weight and make a lifestyle change, but instead rather put that money towards unnecessary surgery so you can continue to be lazy? That makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete