Saturday, December 10, 2011

Answering Questions

I am blown away by the support I have received so far and I'm very grateful! Today I would like to answer some questions that I have been asked on Facebook and here on the blog. I have tried to adjust my settings to make it easier to comment.

Q. So you're not wanting to do the Biggest Loser camp because it's $10k, you have to work hard to lose weight and make a lifestyle change, but instead rather put that money towards unnecessary surgery so you can continue to be lazy? That makes a lot of sense.
A. I have a 25 year history of dieting and you can guess by my current weight that it hasn't been very successful. I'm not even one of those people who loses 50 pounds and gains it back. My most best attempts have been 12-15 pound losses, followed by the usual regain. The reason I don't want to go to the Biggest Loser Resort is because I don't think that it is the solution that will work for me. I'm sure it works for some, just not me. The reasons I think my chances are greater with gastric bypass are because my stomach will be much smaller and fill up faster, the part of the stomach that produces the hormones that cause you to fill hungry and crave sweets is removed from the digestive process, the stomach's ability to absorb all the fat is temporarily decreased, and your eating habits are changed, hopefully permanently. It is NOT the easy way out. It is major surgery that is meant to be a tool, along with eating well and exercise, to help you lose weight. The statistics for those who lost weight with surgery and kept it off are much higher than just with diet alone. I am also hoping that paying the $25,000 will contribute to my seriousness in taking this path. For me, the benefits are not just losing weight, I also have a 90% chance of leaving the hospital with my diabetes in remission with little chance of coming out of remission. That's huge! My mother, grandmother, and grandfather all lived with the complications of diabetes and died due to them.

Q. I'm so excited for you Jackie! It's very cool to see you hopeful about this and your determination to make this work. What will you be doing to lose weight before the surgery? You go girl!
A. Thank you! I am taking it slowly. I am starting by cutting down and then cutting way down on sweets and carbs. I will reduce my calories to about 1000-1200. I am also trying to increase my activity level to actual exercise. :)

Q. Did they prescribe a vitamin or do you need suggestions?
A. For now I just supposed to take a regular multi-vitamin. Next week I will have my bloodwork done and it will show any deficiencies and they might change what I take.

Thanks again for the support!

1 comment:

  1. I like that you added the anonymous thing because now it's easier to comment but I'll let you know it's your favorite daughter. I'm happy for you! I think this is great and although it's scary I'm proud of you for making this huge decision/step!

    ReplyDelete