Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Carrying On

Last Thursday I attended my first of 4 mandatory classes. It was the about preparing for surgery and part two of a nutrition class. I haven't taken part one yet, but this one was the meatier of the two. The amount of information you need is overwhelming, so it's good to get it all at once and then revisit as needed. I learned about the different types of food I will be eating at different times after surgery. It goes from two weeks of clear liquids, to full liquids, to pureed and then soft foods. Eventually I will return to normal foods, but you definitely don't want any food getting stuck in the new stomach and intestinal connections while they are still swollen. John attended the class with me and said he hadn't realized the life changes that go along with gastric bypass.

Yesterday I met with the same nutritionist for a one-on-one meeting. We discussed how I normally eat, losing weight before surgery, and tips for making changes now rather than waiting until it is necessary. It was very helpful.

I have been making several changes in my diet. We went to one of my favorite Mexican restaurants last week and I didn't eat ANY tortilla chips. They are so addictive that I didn't want to risk even one. I'm trying to stay around 1200 calories, which is much less than my norm and I have been starving at night. Tonight is the first night that it hasn't been distracting. I am also tracking what I eat with an online program. So far I have lost around 4 pounds, which feels good. The next couple of weeks will be tough, given the holidays, but I'm not worried. I'm not going to try to lose weight, just maintain.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

  1. good for you! congrats on the 4pounds, Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many really good things about this post! I love that John went to the class with you. I've had clients go through this process and it's so much better with spouse support and understanding. And congrats on saying no to the chips and the losing 4 pounds. You are inspiring me. I keep telling myself I just need to track but I haven't done it yet. Thanks for setting such a good example! I'm so proud of you and excited for you.

    ReplyDelete