Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Survived!

I had my surgery and I'm doing great! I had to be at the hospital an hour before my 6:30 a.m. surgery. Almost everything had been prepared ahead of time, so it was quick and easy and I was in the operating room before I knew what hit me. I'm kind of foggy about waking up, but I was taken to ICU as a matter of protocol. I remember my mouth was so dry. When they told me I couldn't have anything to drink, not even ice chips, I was really bummed. Fortunately, the nurse showed me that brushing my teeth really helped the dryness. The orders were to get me walking every two to four hours, which was really only tough the first time. The most painful part of the process was how much my back hurt. I've had a back fusion and I have an S curve (scoliosis), and it HURT. When I was filling out the paper work for surgery I fudged a little on some info because I didn't think I needed a sleep study. Bad idea. Based on the alarm going off everytime I fell asleep, I believe I would have failed the study. The next day I was moved to regular care. My meal tray would arrive and all it had on it was two medicine cups with 1-2 ounces of Jell-O another 2 ounces of broth. It was kind of funny. I was able to go home on Friday and it was nice to collapse into the Lazy Boy, take my lortab, and sleep! I look the pain killer Friday and Saturday and haven't needed it since. I really feel good! In fact, my knee (still recovering from surgery 6 weeks ago) is much more uncomfortable. I am walking, doing light cleaning (can't pick up anything over 10 pounds and don't want to bend over at incision lines too much), and even cooking for the family. I'm on a clear liquid diet and supposed to get at least 64 ounces of fluid and get 80-100 grams of protein. The fluid intake has gotten pretty easy. The protein, not so much. Protein shakes, drinks, and powders s*ck. I cannot stand the smell or taste. The doctor's office suggested "protein bullets" sold by GNC, but they are even worse. They are a thick liquid and they taste like magnesium citrate (the stuff you buy to "clean" you out before surgery). Bad! So, I'm trying my best for now and I know with each stage of the post-op surgical diet it will get easier to meet my protein goal. Some evenings are difficult. I'm not physically hungry, but I have head hunger. I miss eating. I've made a couple of minor mistakes, but I really am doing well. I'm not going to do anything to risk my new eating system. My blood glucose levels have been good, ranging from 94-114, although this morning it was 126. I did some research though, and usually takes a few weeks after surgery for the levels to settle down, so I am hopeful that my doctor will declare by diabetes to be in remission. Since that was the reason for me to get this surgery, I really, really hope this does happen. I go for my post-op this Wednesday, I should get the go-ahead to move to stage two, full-liquid diet.
Consult wt 195/surgery wt 178.5/current wt 171 pounds

6 comments:

  1. Try the Worldwide Pure Protein shakes. I think you can find them in Target.. I get them on the military base at the commissary if you have that connection. They come in several flavors, but I only like the chocolate. I like the cans of them better than the powder, and they have to be cold.
    but I think they taste a lot better than most protein powders and things Ive tried.
    the head hunger was the hardest part for me.. I dont think I was prepared for that part like I thought I was. :-/
    Im glad youre feeling good and cant wait to read that your diabetes is in remission soon! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, Jackie! I'm glad you are doing so well! Praying for continued success. :)
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    Surgery Sets

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing yuor experience about bariatric surgeryThe challege is to just follow along and exercise, eat right, and get your water. Everyone holding each other accountable.Manipal | Bariatric Surgery India| Weight Loss Surgery India

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is great that people are getting these weight loss surgeries to help them get back in shape. I think one misconception that people have is that the surgery is supposed to do all the work. I think doctors now are doing a good job at letting people know that it is a whole lifestyle change that comes with the surgery and that change really decides on whether or not you are going to lose all the weight your want or not. I remember watching a couple of shows that the person had to learn that it was a whole lifestyle change. Once the person was able to notice that, they were able to have great success in the weight loss.

    Zach | http://www.weightlosssurgeon.com

    ReplyDelete