Monday, November 28, 2011

Gathering My Info

I was lucky to not have a long wait to attend the required seminar presented by the bariatric surgeons. I had one week and in that time I filled out all the required health history forms, gathered my doctors' letters of support from my pcp and the orthopedic surgeon,filled out a three day food diary and found out what my insurance covered--which was a big fat zero percent. I believe the clause that includes weight loss surgery was denied by my husband's employer. My husband is self-employed. I found the seminar very interesting. The surgeon, Dr. Basa, explained the different procedures that she offers and the pros and cons of each surgery. I actually changed my preference from a gastric sleeve to gastric bypass because I believe it will have a greater effect on my diabetes. People who have gastric bypass typically lose a greater percentage of weight. She also introduced three former patients that answered our questions. A couple of days after the seminar, which was well-attended, I received a phone call from the bariatric surgeon's office letting me know that my insurance does not cover the surgery. I told them that I intend to self-pay and we set up an appointment with the surgeon. I'm super excited! Now, I'm reading three different weight loss surgery message boards and trying to find out as much as possible about gastric bypass. Next time I'll write about telling my extended family about my choice. Fun times.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is one of the message boards you're reading is beforeandafterhelp.com but that's one that I read a lot of before my gastric bypass. :) Congratulations on your decision! It's scary, but also exciting!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jackie! I know two people who have had surgery in the last year and both are doing very well. I hope things go great for you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie,

    I have sooooo many questions, but first, you look AMAZING! I am scheduled to have the gastric sleeve surgery in a week, and I'm not sure I should. I have had thyroid irregularities for many years, but my HMO refuses to treat it unless one indicator is outside the normal range. Anyway, I wonder if I should see an endocrinologist, out of pocket, to address that problem first. I see that you had a low parathyroid. Did you ever consider whether correcting that, alone, might allow you to lose weight, without the surgery? Also, when you began losing weight before the surgery, did you think, "Well, maybe I can do this without the surgery?" I have been having menstrual bleeding problems for over a year and wonder if my hormones are just so out of whack that I should get that squared away before undergoing the surgery. Also, I just had surgery for a torn meniscus in one knee and need surgery on the other--should I do that first? Lastly, you mentioned limiting your diet to 1200 calories a day. My resting metabolic rate, according to the Dr., is only 1350 calories per day. If I ate 1200 calories a day, it would take me 24 days to lose a single pound. That's without exercise, but if I do 40 minutes on the bike, it's only 300 calories, so that would bring the total down to eight days to lose one pound. I guess I'm just confused and feeling hopeless that anything, even surgery, will make weight loss possible for me. I know you're not a doctor, but I would be grateful for ANY thoughts you have.

    Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS on your success.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, you sound so brave. I am in the process of trying to gather information for my wife who is stubborn and scared. Even the thought of surgery scares her and when she gets scared she stops listening and thinking. She is only 30 but she is obsess and has a long family history of obesity and many of the health related problems that come with the weight. Frankly this is what scares me the most, for I don't want to be widowed before we have had time to enjoy our lives.
    So I wanted to give you some support and say that I to have done a lot of research and this is a great route for you to go, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered endoscopic bariatric repair? The national institute for bariatric repair is full of great information.

    ReplyDelete